The United States Civil Rights Trail was unveiled in 2018, during the 50th anniversary year of Rev. Martin Luther King’s assassination and the 155th anniversary year of President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation.
The primary focus of this travel planner is to connect the Trail’s most significant sites and destinations, reference life stories, events, people and places along the Trail and generate a demand for unforgettable travel experiences.
The five pillars to be emphasized in this year’s magazine are:
- World-class museums that tell Civil Rights stories
- Churches where communities gathered to organize momentous Civil Rights efforts
- Courthouses and other civic institutions where change took place
- Schools and universities that were instrumental in advancing Civil Rights for students
- Historic sites where Americans fought for social justice